Monday, February 26, 2007

Leave or stay...

This is keeping me up tonight. When asked why i wanted to EAS by the OPSO, i explained that i wanted a break from Iraq. 4 whole deployments is too damn many. i even said getting the 1st half off would be enough for me to sign back up. what i got in response was "we need you to instruct, you need to teach iron nail, the commandant says blah blah", and the best part, that "it sets a precedent for others to try to get out of deployments if they end up in the same situation".

Oh yeah? well that kind of answer sets a precedent that the command could give two shits about its troops. If youre going to preach the commandant's letters to the corps, dont bother including anything about loyalty, brotherhood, and taking care of our own, because these bastards dont care one 10 second fuck about the morale or state of mentality for their guys. I'm in a unique situation, in that i can walk if the cards dont stack up. The thing is, im not even asking for that much. Its a give a little-get a little situation for our command. Well they expect me to give them a ribeye steak with a garden salad, loaded baked potato, and all the beer they can handle, while they try to leave a 50 cent tip.

I want to stay at the unit. i love the work, the people i work with, and i love being able to say that i joined the hardest service in a time of war, and gave up the best years of my life to defend my country. So, when i get back, i'll have a proposal ready for them. its a deal or no deal type thing. Their reaction will tell me everything i need to know about their feelings towards me. If i get the same answer, that i'm another "+1" on the sorts sheet, and my time so far isnt worth 3 months of sanity for 22 put in, then I'll know. I'll know that everything ive been fed so far has been horseshit, and I shouldnt spend 5 more seconds in the military than i'm obligated.

7 comments:

Cuban-B said...

Horse Blinders....
Yes Horse Blinders, this an analogy I will always use bro….It means that there are many times in life were you find yourself in a position that completely goes against your feelings, however you find yourself repeatedly coming up with self reasons why you should give it another try. Well dude the truth is that, sometimes it’s worth it…..
BUT…I’m here to say it just not might be worth it….Their is a huge world out there…with so many endless opportunities..
Why should you stay somewhere, were your personal freedoms are taken away so frequently, for people who’s command here is just a short required stop on their way to something they are trying to reach ?? Yes defend your country / do your part….but it is time for the next guy to step up. You did your part! Time for you to enjoy life! Go somewhere you have never lived before, look for jobs that interest you (there are many out there, just a question of effort in looking), yes their are great friends you have met here during your tenure in the military, but guess what… YOU WILL MET MORE
Plus I like to think that being a part of the Ministry is for life, so if you leave before we all come back, IT IS NOT THE END. We will continue to conquer new areas through out the U S of A!
Okay I’m done now…

Anonymous said...

fag

Cuban-B said...

good one Vin, I know it's you, cause know one else has the balls to do that (or ever look at this blog)

MO said...

Kaiser, as you well know I am in the same situation as you... I have been pressured endlessly since I left VMU... Some pretty sweet offers too... But like Cuban-B said, there is way too much other stuff out there to do in life... You know your shit, use it and land one of the UAV jobs out there... You know there are pleanty, and you've got the experience to get one... That's it.

JollyRed said...

Dude,
You need to get out in the world, you took a chance on joining the Marine Corp. Now take a chance on getting out. This is coming from some one who is already out and working on getting that job.

Vin said...

Hey Kaiser,

I'm not going to give you biased advice because I already re-enlisted because that would be selfish. I have learned one important thing while in the Marine Corps..that is don't ask people shit!!! You may take their advice because it sounded good or whatever and end up regreting it later. It is soley up tp you and what you feel in your gut and obviously you really want to stay BUT if like YOU said we have a bunch of assholes that don't give two shits then why bother...You are in a unique situation and just what the hell would they do if you walked..its no different than giving you a break. its not a shock that they can't get that through their fuckin heads.. Bottom line if they can't meet you half way..do what you feel is right not what WE think is right. Either way i support you.

Vin said...

NO BOATMASTER that was not me. fuck off